- Training Grade LLW £19,254 p.a.
- Fixed term - Up to 6 years
- Full time 35 hours per week
- 7 Newington Barrow Way, London N7 7EP
- Training Grade LLW £19,254 p.a.
- 31/03/2019 23:59
Solicitor Apprenticeship Pathway
Salary: £19,254 p.a.
Location: 7 Newington Barrow Way, London N7 7EP
Hours: 35 hours per week
Islington Council offers a wide range of high quality Apprenticeship Pathways that combine working in a great job, comprehensive training and development opportunities, and a competitive salary.
The Solicitor Apprenticeship Pathway consists of a 6-year opportunity to build on your knowledge of the legal sector and professional business skills, and apply your ‘can-do’ attitude whilst working towards a Solicitor qualification. Following the initial application process, successful applicants will join Islington Council’s Corporate and Dispute Resolution team, where you will be providing accurate information and support to the team, relating to legal and business related queries and tasks.
This is achieved through excellent customer service and the delivery of key activities which are designed to meet the needs of our customers. Working as part of a friendly and well respected team, your role will be varied and rewarding.
The Job - Working as a Solicitor Apprentice for the Council you will:
- Act ethically, with professionalism and judgement;
- Progress legal matters and transactions;
- Apply legal knowledge and commercial judgement to produce solutions which meet clients' needs and address their commercial or personal circumstances;
- Deploy the full range of legal skills - research, interviewing, advising and advocacy;
- Assist with Negotiation, drafting, communicating orally and in writing;
- Establish and maintaining effective and professional relationships with clients and other people;
- Managing yourself and your own work effectively.
Training and Development – Within your role you will:
- Complete a Solicitor Level 7 apprenticeship qualification funded by the Council. This will involve attendance at a college and/or completing tasks in the workplace (depending on specific course requirement) and will provide both practical and theory-based qualifications;
- Join the Apprenticeship Pathway personal and professional development programme that will involve a series of varied development activities and events throughout your year with the Council
Working in Islington Council
We appreciate and value our employees and recognise the importance of a motivated and supported workforce. We will support your development through the activities mentioned above and through the ongoing support of your manager and a mentoring programme. In addition to the competitive salary and excellent annual leave package the organisation offers a wide range of benefits such as; discounted gym memberships and cycle schemes, discounted theatre tickets and local discounts from restaurants and shops.
After you have successfully completed your Apprenticeship Pathway you will have gained valuable workplace experience and attained a professional qualification which will improve your chances of finding work either within the Council or with another employer or help you move on to a higher level apprenticeship elsewhere. You will have networked across the Council and be aware of the internal job market during your time with us and we will provide support on your approach to the wider job market as part of your development programme.
The Solicitor Pathway is ideal for those who enjoy helping others and are passionate about working in the legal sector.
To apply for this apprenticeship, you must:
- Be unemployed (or working no more than 16 hours)
- and an Islington resident or Islington care leaver or a student at an Islington secondary school student currently or within the last 12 months.
Course entry requirements:
- Have 5 GCSEs, including mathematics & English - grade C / level 4 or above (or equivalent level qualifications);
- Have 3 A Levels at minimum grade C or above (or equivalent level qualification);
- Not currently be qualified in the legal field at level 6 or above.
*Applicants who are currently undertaking there A levels or an equivalent level qualification are welcome to apply, but please note any offer will be subject to you achieving the course entry requirements as listed above.*
Closing Date: Sunday 31st March 2019 at 23:59
Assessment Day: To be confirmed
Apprenticeship Start Date: September 2019
If you are an Islington resident who would like support with your application please contact the iWork Team on 020 7527 3559 or email iWork@islington.gov.uk
Documents to download
To print a document or save it to your computer, please click with your right mouse button on the document title and select "Save Target As...". You can then save the document in a suitable place on your computer ready to print it out. Clicking with the left mouse button will open the document in a new window (if your web browser can do so).
If you have problems applying, contact
- 0207 527 4689