- Housing & Adult Social Services
- Training Grade LLW £18,615 p.a.
- Fixed Term - 2 Years
- Full time 35 hours per week
- 33-37 Brewery Road, London N7 9QH
- Training Grade LLW £18,615 p.a.
- 01/04/2018 23:59
Apprentice Trade Operative - Plumbing Pathway
Islington Council offers a wide range of high quality Apprenticeship Pathways that combine working in a great job, comprehensive training and development opportunities, and a competitive salary.
Our Apprentice Trade Operative - Plumbing Pathway consists of a two-year long opportunity to build on your problem solving and customer care skills, and apply your ‘can-do’ attitude whilst working towards a Plumbing apprenticeship qualification. Following the initial application process, successful applicants will join Islington Council’s Housing Repairs Team where you will work to deliver the Council’s corporate customer care standards.
The London Borough of Islington has around 23,000 properties. The Repairs team delivers about 900 repairs a week to a diverse population of tenants and leaseholders. Your role will be based within customer’s homes requiring you to deliver exceptional communication skills and customer service skills. Working as part of a friendly and well respected team, your role will be varied and rewarding.
The Job - Working as an Apprentice Trade Operative - Plumbing for the Council you will:
- Work individually and as part of a team to respond to customer’s requests effectively and efficiently;
- Work alongside our team of qualified plumbers to install, repair and maintain pipes, fixtures and other plumbing used for water distribution and waste water disposal in residential buildings;
- Assist with repairing or replacing baths, toilets, water tanks, basins, taps; deal with problems related to drainage, guttering, leaks and blockages;
- With the guidance of mentors and colleagues use problem-solving skills to make decisions on best way to carry repairs; diagnose faults and write reports;
- Under the guidance of mentors, ensure that the work is carried out in accordance with policies and procedures;
- Adhere to general housekeeping standards after work is completed;
- Develop strong professional relationships with your own team and with others we work alongside and to whom we provide services.
Training and Development – Within your role you will:
- Complete a level 2 Plumbing apprenticeship qualification funded by the Council. This will involve attendance at a college and/or completing tasks in the workplace (depending on specific course requirement) and will provide both practical and theory-based qualifications;
- Join the Apprenticeship Pathway personal and professional development programme that will involve a series of varied development activities and events throughout your year with the Council
Working in Islington Council
We appreciate and value our employees and recognise the importance of a motivated and supported workforce. We will support your development through the activities mentioned above and through the ongoing support of your manager and a mentoring programme. In addition to the competitive salary and excellent annual leave package the organisation offers a wide range of benefits such as; discounted gym memberships, tax efficient childcare vouchers and cycle schemes, discounted theatre tickets and local discounts from restaurants and shops.
After you have successfully completed your Apprenticeship Pathway you will have gained valuable workplace experience and attained a professional qualification which will improve your chances of finding work either within the Council or with another employer or help you move on to a higher level apprenticeship elsewhere. You will have networked across the Council and be aware of the internal job market during your time with us and we will provide support on your approach to the wider job market as part of your development programme.
To apply for this apprenticeship, you must:
- Be a 16+ Islington resident, Islington care leaver or former Islington secondary school student within the last 12 months. We encourage applications aged 16-24; however, applicants of all ages will be considered.
- Be unemployed/economically inactive (working no more than 16 hours a week).
- Hold English and Maths qualifications at level 1 or above (GCSE Grade E or above) with the ability to achieve level 2.
- Not have already completed an NVQ in Plumbing at level 2 or above.
Closing Date: Sunday 1st April 2018 at 23:59
College Screening: Thursday 12th April 2018
Interview: week commencing 23rd April 2018
Apprenticeship Start Date: September 2018
Open Day: Islington Housing Repairs Team will be holding an Open Day about these opportunities, providing you with an opportunity to meet the team, find out more about the roles and have a tour of the service. This is an optional session, you do not have to attend in order to apply for this role however if you would like to do so, this drop in session will be held on 13th March 2018. You can attend any time between 10am – 12 noon at Repairs Training Facility, Unit 9, Station Rd, N19 5UN.
For an informal discussion about apprenticeships at Islington council please contact, Amadea Afful on 020 7527 2640 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
If you are an Islington resident who would like support with your application please contact the iWork Team on 020 7527 3559 or email iWork@islington.gov.uk
This post is subject to the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act (Exceptions Order) 1975 and it will be necessary for a submission for Disclosure to be made to the Disclosure and Barring Service.
Documents to download
To print a document or save it to your computer, please click with your right mouse button on the document title and select "Save Target As...". You can then save the document in a suitable place on your computer ready to print it out. Clicking with the left mouse button will open the document in a new window (if your web browser can do so).
If you have problems applying, contact
- 0207 527 3920