- Housing and Adult Social Services
- P03 £36,912 - £39,855 p.a.
- Full time 35 hours per week
- Northway House, 257 Upper Street
- P03 £36,912 - £39,855 p.a.
- 02/07/2017 23:59
About the Team:
- You will be based in the capital programme team of about 50 staff, which is one of the only in-house technical teams in a London council. Staff employed in the capital programme include engineers, building surveyors, quantity surveyors, clerks of works, and project liaison officers.
- You will be working within a dedicated clerk of works team, who work on most capital and new build projects in the borough. Most work is on cyclical maintenance contracts with two long term partnering contractors.
- On each project, you will work as part of a project team which will also include a building surveyor / project manager, quantity surveyor, project liaison officer, and where required an engineer.
About the Buildings:
- Islington Council is one of the UK’s smallest boroughs, but it has a large housing stock of about 27,000 properties.
- These show a great diversity of building types, each with their own particular technical challenges. They include system built tower blocks, large mid-century estates, pre-war mansion blocks and street properties. A particular feature is the high number of properties which are listed or are in a conservation area.
- About 200,000 people call Islington home, and the population is very diverse, with both affluent areas, and high levels of poverty. An important driver of our work is that everyone has a home to be proud of.
- Our work occasionally extends to other council buildings including schools, libraries and community centres.
About the Work:
- The cyclical maintenance team use a term partnering design and build contract, but you, as clerk of works, will have involvement in agreeing the scope of works. Each year the team complete about £20m of construction work.
- This work is focussed on ensuring the fabric of the buildings is kept in good condition, renewing windows and roofs where necessary, as well as renewing kitchens and bathrooms.
- The clerk of works team also support the in-house architect’s team working on about £10m worth of new build contracts per year.
- Typically you will be working on three to five projects at any one time. Individual projects range in size from single blocks with works costing from £100k, to large estates of hundreds of properties with works costing several million.
- While on site you will be responsible for ensuring the works meet the specified standard. Specific duties include inspecting works, signing off key stages, agreeing repair schedules, writing weekly reports, and ensuring all paperwork is filed.
Closing date: Sunday 2 July 2017 at 23:59
interview and test date: week commencing Monday 31 July 2017
For an informal discussion about the role please contact Barry Cunningham on either 020 7527 2311 / 07973 126 157 or via email at Barry.Cunningham@islington.gov.uk
This post is subject to the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act (Exceptions Order) 1975 and it will be necessary for a submission for Disclosure to be made to the Disclosure and Barring Service.
Documents to download
To print a document or save it to your computer, please click with your right mouse button on the document title and select "Save Target As...". You can then save the document in a suitable place on your computer ready to print it out. Clicking with the left mouse button will open the document in a new window (if your web browser can do so).
If you have problems applying, contact
- 020 7527 2849