- Housing & Adult Social Services
- Training Grade LLW £17,796 p.a.
- Fixed term - Up to 5.5 years
- Full time 35 hours per week
- Various sites, Islington Council
- Training Grade LLW £17,796 p.a.
- 16/07/2017 23:59
Islington Council offers a wide range of high quality Apprenticeship Pathways that combine working in a great job, comprehensive training and development opportunities and a competitive salary. Our Chartered Surveyor Degree Apprenticeship Pathway consists of a five and a half year opportunity to build on your problem solving, teamwork and interpersonal skills whilst working towards a Building Surveying degree. This apprenticeship pathway would suit those who have an interest in the design and construction of buildings. Following the initial application process successful applicant/s will join Islington Council’s Housing and Adult Social Services department.
Chartered Surveyors design and develop new buildings, they also advise on the restoration and maintenance of buildings to keep them in good condition. Surveyors also assess buildings and report on defects and structural faults and recommend solutions. They can advise on the feasibility of a building project, and how much it might cost to carry out, or how suitable a building could be for a particular purpose.
The Job - Working as a Chartered Surveyor Apprentice for the Council you will work alongside experienced professionals to learn to:
• Complete property and land surveys and valuations and analyse data
• Assist with planning applications and submitting grant requests
• Inspect properties to ensure they meet current building regulations, including fire safety and accessibility
• Determine the condition of existing buildings, identify defects and propose repairs
• Advise on energy efficiency, environmental impact and sustainable construction;
• Prepare plans, contracts and budgets
• Write up technical reports/recommendations
• Develop professional relationships with your own team and with others who we work alongside and provide services to
• Build on your existing communication skills, gain invaluable experience and build your self-confidence through your day-to-day workplace activities.
Training and Development – Within your role you will:
• Complete a BSc degree in Building Surveying funded by the Council. This will involve attendance at university 1 day a week and completing tasks in the workplace
• Complete the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (RICS) Assessment of Professional Competence (APC).
• Join the Apprenticeship Pathway personal and professional development programme that will involve a series of varied development activities and events throughout your year with the Council
Working in Islington Council
We appreciate and value our employees and recognise the importance of a motivated and supported workforce. We will support your development through the activities mentioned above and through the ongoing support of your manager and a mentoring programme. In addition to the competitive salary and excellent annual leave package the organisation offers a wide range of benefits such as; discounted gym memberships, tax efficient childcare vouchers and cycle schemes, discounted theatre tickets and local discounts from restaurants and shops.
After you have successfully completed your Apprenticeship Pathway you will have gained valuable workplace experience and attained a professional qualification which will improve your chances of finding work either within the Council or with another employer or help you move on to a higher level apprenticeship elsewhere. You will have networked across the Council and be aware of the internal job market during your time with us and we will provide support on your approach to the wider job market as part of your development programme.
The Chartered Surveyor Pathway is ideal for people with excellent attention to detail, problem solving skills and a willingness to learn.
To apply for this pathway, you must:
• Be a 16+ Islington resident, Islington care leaver or former Islington secondary school student. We encourage applications aged 18-24 however applicants of all ages will be considered.
• Hold 5 GCSE’s or an equivalent qualification at grade C or above, including Maths and English
• Hold 3 A Levels or an equivalent level 3 qualification e.g. BTEC, Access to HE or IB.
• Not currently be qualified in Surveying at degree level or above
Closing Date: Sunday16 July 2017 at 23;59
Assessment Day: Week commencing 24 July 2017
Start Date: September 2017
For an informal discussion about apprenticeships at Islington council please contact, Amadea Afful on 020 7527 2640 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
If you are an Islington resident who would like support with your application please contact the iWork Team on 020 7527 3559 or email iWork@islington.gov.uk
The postholder will have access to vulnerable people in the course of their normal duties and as such this post is subject to the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act (Exceptions Order) 1975 and as such it will be necessary for a submission for Disclosure to be made to the Disclosure and Barring Service to check for any previous criminal convictions.
Documents to download
To print a document or save it to your computer, please click with your right mouse button on the document title and select "Save Target As...". You can then save the document in a suitable place on your computer ready to print it out. Clicking with the left mouse button will open the document in a new window (if your web browser can do so).
If you have problems applying, contact
- 0207 527 4689