- Housing & Adult Social Services
- P03/P04 £36,912 - £42,651 p.a.
- Full time 35 hours per week
- Northway House, 257 Upper Street
- P03/P04 £36,912 - £42,651 p.a.
- 02/07/2017 23:59
Project Manager - Capital Programme
P03/P04 £36,912 - £42,651 p.a.
About the Team:
- You will be based in the capital programme team of about 50 staff, which is one of the only in-house technical teams in a London council. Staff employed in the capital programme include engineers, building surveyors, quantity surveyors, clerks of works, and project liaison officers.
- You will be working within a small team of project manager / building surveyors, who are all responsible for all projects in the north of the borough with a long term partnering contractor. This team is led by a Group Leader for Capital Works.
- On each project, a project team will include a clerk of works, quantity surveyor, project liaison officer, and where required an engineer. You will be responsible for leading this project team, to ensure your projects are effectively delivered.
About the Buildings:
- Islington Council is one of the UK’s smallest boroughs, but it has a large housing stock of about 27,000 properties.
- These show a great diversity of building types, each with their own particular technical challenges. They include system built tower blocks, large mid-century estates, pre-war mansion blocks and street properties. A particular feature is the high number of properties which are listed or are in a conservation area.
- About 200,000 people call Islington home, and the population is very diverse, with both affluent areas, and high levels of poverty. An important driver of our work is that everyone has a home to be proud of.
- Our work occasionally extends to other council buildings including schools, libraries and community centres.
About the Work:
- The team use a term partnering design and build contract, but you, as project manager, will have responsibility for agreeing the scope of works. Each year the team complete about £10-£15m of construction work.
- The work is focussed on ensuring the fabric of the buildings is kept in good condition, renewing windows and roofs where necessary, as well as renewing kitchens and bathrooms.
- In the pre-contract phase you will be responsible for guiding the project through surveying stage, resident consultation and securing internal approval. Once on site you will act as contract administrator, chair site meetings, continue to refine and direct the scope of works, and lead on solving technical problems. You will also be responsible for ensuring the project is delivered on budget, and carefully monitor the contractor’s progress.
- Typically you will be responsible for five to eight projects at any one time, though these will be at different project stages. Individual projects range in size from single blocks with works costing from £100k, to large estates of hundreds of properties with works costing several million.
Closing date: Sunday 2 July 2017 at 23:59
Interview and test date: Week commencing 31 July 2017
For an informal discussion about the role please contact Sinead Burke on 020 7527 8231 or at Sinead.Burke@islington.gov.uk
This post is subject to the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act (Exceptions Order) 1975 and it will be necessary for a submission for Disclosure to be made to the Disclosure and Barring Service.
Documents to download
To print a document or save it to your computer, please click with your right mouse button on the document title and select "Save Target As...". You can then save the document in a suitable place on your computer ready to print it out. Clicking with the left mouse button will open the document in a new window (if your web browser can do so).
If you have problems applying, contact
- 0207 527 2737