- Environment and Regeneration
- P05 £43,503 - £46,347 p.a.
- Full time 35 hours per week
- 1 Cottage Road, London N7 8TP
- P05 £43,503 - £46,347 p.a.
- 24/06/2018 23:59
Working together for a better Islington
Our Public Realm Division has adopted a mission to work with and for the people of Islington to create the best possible environment, one that is cleaner, greener, safer and healthier. We are focusing on delivering a truly high quality customer focused service for the people who live and work in bustling Islington.
Our new and innovative policies are also helping reduce London’s pollution and congestion problems and raise air quality whilst, benefiting the health of our community as a whole.
Early Shift Workshop Manager
To effectively manage the Islington workshops and bodyshop including parts, administration and related logistics functions to provide effective maintenance and compliance of all council (and other) assets as required ensuring that all departments within the council continuously have access to the number of assets required to deliver their services.
- To manage all employees within the workshops and body shop including parts, logistics and administration functions, dealing with problems and issues effectively and professionally within the policies and guidelines of the council.
- To monitor the performance and potential of the team and provide the direction, training and motivation necessary to secure their optimum commitment, competency and maximum efficiency.
- To carry out annual performance reviews with all direct reporting staff and to hold regular meetings with the team.
- To manage communications between the department and other key council functions, ensuring coordination and support for all council activities and objectives.
- To provide advice and guidance as required in line with the responsibilities of the role ensuring that appropriate procedures are effectively implemented, including office and departmental health and safety policy.
- In conjunction with the Corporate Fleet and Transport Manager, develop relationships with key contacts, both internal and external, identifying and acting upon opportunities and introducing change which leads to a higher level of achievement and competitiveness.
- In conjunction with the Corporate Fleet and Transport Manager ensure that overall objectives of the council are achieved and that standards are maintained whilst creating a culture which encourages departmental success.
- In conjunction with the Corporate Fleet and Transport Manager, maintain and enhance productive relationships with all suppliers in support of the departments obligations and high service levels/output.
- To develop and improve service delivery approach in line with best practice methodologies and continuous improvement.
- To produce reporting as required by the Corporate Fleet and Transport Manager and members of the council management team.
- To carry out other tasks as required by the council from time to time including travel to any other location as required.
- In conjunction with the Corporate Fleet and Transport Manager be responsible for day to day communications with the client (other departments within the council and external parties) in respect of the department maintaining and enhancing productive working relationships.
- To attend review meetings as and when required and any other formal meetings as may occur.
- In conjunction with the Corporate Fleet and Transport Manager, maximise opportunities within the council and develop capability to engage with external parties.
Workshop and Body Shop:
- To prevent fraud and minimise risk or exposure of the council through effective management.
- To ensure that quality check process is fully implemented as per the procedures in force at that time.
- To remain up to date with relevant technical instructions/data and to maintain awareness of legislation relating to all statutory health and safety, COSHH and the Environmental Protection Act etc.
- Ensure the imprest and owned stock carried is adequate and appropriate to the needs of the workshop/bodyshop functions and to authorise local purchase orders as required within designated level of authority.
- Assess the cost of repair of damaged vehicles, producing reports as necessary for the Corporate Fleet and Transport Manager and members of the council’s management team.
- In conjunction with the Corporate Fleet and Transport Manager provide technical input and opinion on behalf of the workshop staff in relation to vehicle specification and/or modification.
- Together with the Corporate Fleet and Transport Manager prepare financial reports and estimates, monitor expenditure, ensure budgets are adhered to and the department remains within viable parameters by managing effective use of labour and equipment.
The position requires excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to form productive, professional working relationships with a diverse range of individuals and groups. You will be committed to the Council’s core values of public service, quality, equality and empowerment and to demonstrate this commitment in the way duties are carried out. You will you will need to demonstrate significant experience in a similar role. You will be required to work flexible and unsocial hours including bank holidays, weekend, late-night and early-morning shifts (to be recompensed by taking time off in lieu).
Closing Date: Sunday 24 June 2018 at 23:59
Interviews: Tuesday 3 July 2018
For an informal discussion about the role please contact John Mooteealoo on 020 7527 6503 or at John.Mooteealoo@islington.gov.uk
Documents to download
To print a document or save it to your computer, please click with your right mouse button on the document title and select "Save Target As...". You can then save the document in a suitable place on your computer ready to print it out. Clicking with the left mouse button will open the document in a new window (if your web browser can do so).
If you have problems applying, contact