- Children Employment and Skills
- Training Grade LLW £18,615 p.a.
- Fixed term - 1 Year
- Full time 35 hours per week
- Central Library, 2 Fieldway Crescent, London, N5 1PF
- Training Grade LLW £18,615 p.a.
- 25/02/2018 23:59
Islington Council offers a wide range of high quality apprenticeships that combine working in a great job, comprehensive training and development opportunities, and a competitive salary.
Our Learning Centre Support Apprenticeship consists of a one-year opportunity to build on your problem solving and customer care skills whilst working towards a Customer Service apprenticeship qualification. Following the initial application process, the successful applicant will join the First Steps Learning Centre which is part of the Library and Heritage Services division within the council supporting Islington residents with short courses in Maths, English, ESOL, ICT and personal development. Providing reception and event support at the Learning Centre, you will also work across the council’s ten library sites when needed. Working as part of a friendly team, your role will be varied and rewarding.
The Job - Working as a Learning Centre Support Apprentice you will:
- Provide a welcoming, friendly and professional service at reception, acting as first point of contact for visitors and callers, greeting all visitors;
- Maintain visitor records and checking ID;
- Assist with incoming and outgoing post;
- Deliver a range of administrative functions such as diary management, room booking, photocopying, scanning and filing;
- Develop professional relationships with your own team and with others who we work alongside and provide services to;
- Build on your existing communication skills, gain invaluable experience and build your self-confidence through your day-to-day workplace activities;
- Assist with checking, printing and distributing book lists;
- Gather data for evaluation.
Training and Development – Within your role you will:
- Complete a level 2 Customer Service qualification funded by the Council. This will involve attendance at a college and/or completing tasks in the workplace (depending on specific course requirement) and will provide both practical and theory-based qualifications;
- Join the Apprenticeship Pathway personal and professional development programme that will involve a series of varied development activities and events throughout your year with the Council.
Working in Islington Council
We appreciate and value our employees and recognise the importance of a motivated and supported workforce. We will support your development through the activities mentioned above and through the ongoing support of your manager and a mentoring programme. In addition to the competitive salary and excellent annual leave package the organisation offers a wide range of benefits such as; discounted gym memberships, tax efficient childcare vouchers and cycle schemes, discounted theatre tickets and local discounts from restaurants and shops.
After you have successfully completed your apprenticeship you will have gained valuable workplace experience and attained a professional qualification which will improve your chances of finding work either within the Council or with another employer or help you move on to a higher level apprenticeship elsewhere. You will have networked across the Council and be aware of the internal job market during your time with us and we will provide support on your approach to the wider job market as part of your development programme.
The Learning Centre Support Apprenticeship is ideal for those who enjoy helping others and are passionate about good customer service.
To apply for this pathway, you must:
- Be a 16+ Islington resident, Islington care leaver or former Islington secondary school student within the last 12 months. We encourage applications aged 16-24; however, applicants of all ages will be considered.
- Be unemployed/economically inactive (working no more than 16 hours a week).
- Not currently be qualified in Customer Service or a related course at level 2 or above.
Closing Date: Sunday 25th February 2018 at 23:59
Assessment Day: 8th/9th March 2018
Apprenticeship Start Date: Spring 2018
For an informal discussion about apprenticeships at Islington council please contact, Amadea Afful on 020 7527 2640 or email email@example.com
If you are an Islington resident who would like support with your application please contact the iWork Team on 020 7527 3559 or email iWork@islington.gov.uk
This post is subject to the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act (Exceptions Order) 1975 and it will be necessary for a submission for Disclosure to be made to the Disclosure and Barring Service.
Documents to download
To print a document or save it to your computer, please click with your right mouse button on the document title and select "Save Target As...". You can then save the document in a suitable place on your computer ready to print it out. Clicking with the left mouse button will open the document in a new window (if your web browser can do so).
If you have problems applying, contact